47th Annual High School Scholarship Competition & Exhibition
The Shiawassee Arts Council, celebrating its 47th anniversary in 2019, awarded $1,850 in scholarships to 25 students from nine area high schools at the 46th Annual SAC Scholarship Show & Competition held April 28th at the Arts Center. A total of 97 students from Owosso, Corunna, Durand, Laingsburg, Morrice, New Lothrop, Ovid-Elsie, Perry, Byron and Home School students participated in the show.
- $500 Janis Kazen Senior Award was presented to Ovid-Elsie School senior, Grace Fowler, by Maureen Gilna. The award, which is given in memory of local artist Janis Kazen by her family, is granted to a graduating senior who plans on pursuing art at a college or university.
- Two Arlie & Rosemary Edwards Awards were presented. A $300 award was giving to Rachael Dahl, Owosso senior. A $200 award was given to Sophia Wittum, Owosso senior. These awards were established by the family of the founders of Edwards Sign & Screen Painting.
- Two $100 Liz McEwan Family Awards were presented to Alison Slackta, Byron junior and Katie Bitterman, New Lothrop senior. These awards were established by the family in memory of Liz McEwan, a patron of the arts.
- $100 Jerry Power Award was presented to Byron sophomore, Shelby Rippey. The award was established by the family in memory of pastel artist, Jerry Power
- Two $50 Bethany Lardie Awards were presented to Owosso sophomore, Kyla Hayes and New Lothrop senior Lauryn Tithof. The award was established by the family in memory of Perry student Bethany Lardie.
- A $50 Director’s Choice Award was presented to New Lothrop junior, Gillian Krupp. Three $25 Director’s Choice Awards were presented to Morrice students, Rhianna Lucas (senior), Olivia Riley (junior) and Jordynn Cartier (sophomore).
- Four $25 Shiawassee Artists’ Guild Awards were presented. Perry senior Eryn Hamlin, Maren Macklin, Brooke Wilder and Owosso junior Emily Woodworth.
- Nine $25 Friend of the Arts Awards were presented.
- Morrice senior Jakob Hedger
- New Lothrop senior Caitlyn Bruff
- Corunna junior Maddison Kennedy
- Perry senior Alicia McConnell
- Morrice junior Amber Nanasy
- Perry junior Jade Nanasy
- Corunna senior Evan Stehlik
- Byro sophomore Kahla Wilson
- Owosso sophomore Sarah Wittum
For 47 years the Shiawassee Arts Council has offered scholarships to talented young art students. Since the establishment of SAC in 1972, over $82,000 in scholarships and awards have been granted to provide students in grades 9-12 with recognition and financial assistance in their artistic growth.
Many thanks to the show sponsor Joyce Fox, award sponsors, the high school art teachers and to the show chairperson and SAC Art Education Director Linda Ruehle. The three Genesee County judges, who judged the work on originality, creativity, technical skill and presentation stated, “We were very impressed with the talent displayed and it made our job of jurying very difficult.”
About the Competition and Show
Reception & Awards Ceremony, Sunday, April 28, 1-3pm
All students grades 9-12 in Shiawassee County, Chesaning and Ovid-Elsie are invited to participate in the Shiawassee Arts Center’s 47th Annual High School Art Scholarship Show & Competition April 24-28, 2019. $2,000 in scholarship awards, including the $500 Janis Kazen Award, two $100 Liz McEwan Awards and the $100 Bethany Lardie Award will be presented at the reception, Sunday, April 28, 1-3pm.
Applications may be found at www.shiawasseearts.org, at the Shiawassee Arts Center and may also be obtained from high school art instructors. Students do not need to be currently enrolled in an art class. Home school and private high school students are welcome.
Scholarship Chairperson and SAC Arts Education Director, Linda Ruehle (pictured with award sponsor Maureen Gilna and 2018 award recipient, Anna Szarcella) states, “Since the establishment of SAC in 1972, more than $80,000 in scholarships and awards have been granted to provide students with recognition and financial assistance in their artistic growth. Professional artists from out of the judge the work on originality, creativity, technical skill and presentation.” For more information or questions call (989)723-8354. Pictured are the 2018 scholarship award receipients on the Arts Center terrace.
The Shiawassee Arts Center, located next to Curwood Castle in Owosso, is open Monday – Friday noon-5pm, weekends noon-4pm. The Arts Center features the artwork of local and statewide artists in eight galleries including the Frieseke Gallery and a specialty Gift Shop. The public is welcome, there is no admission charge and the facility is handicap accessible. SAC, which is celebrating its 47th anniversary in 2019, is a non-profit organization whose mission is to offer quality arts and cultural activities that educate, entertain and enrich our community.