The Shiawassee Arts Council, celebrating its 46th anniversary in 2018, awarded $2,000 in scholarships to 28 students from nine area high schools at the 46th Annual SAC Scholarship Show & Competition held April 28th at the Arts Center. A total of 139 students from Owosso, Corunna, Durand, Laingsburg, Morrice, New Lothrop, Ovid-Elsie, Perry, Byron and Home School students participated in the show.
– $600 Janis Kazen Senior Award was presented to Owosso High School senior, Anna Scarzella, by Maureen Gilna. The award, which is given in memory of local artist Janis Kazen by her family, is granted to a graduating senior who plans on pursuing art at a college or university.
– Two $250 Arlie & Rosemary Edwards Awards were presented to Ondrea Birchmeier, New Lothrop Senior and Rafe Jacobs, Owosso Sophomore. The awards were established by the family of the founders of Edwards Sign & Screen Painting.
– Two $100 Liz McEwan Family Awards were presented to two groups of Owosso artists. Lilly Blaha, Abigail Griffin & Rachel Keller received a $100 award. Arthur LaVigne, Aeralyn Gilroy & Phil Szabo also received a $100 award. These awards were established by the family in memory of Liz McEwan, a patron of the arts.
– $100 Jerry Power Award was presented to Ovid-Elsie senior, Emily Beeman. The award was established by the family in memory of pastel artist, Jerry Power
– The $75 Director’s Choice Award was presented to Owosso freshman, Patience Norder
– Two $50 Bethany Lardie Awards were presented to Durand senior Kaitlyn Hendrickson and Perry junior Chloe Jones. The award was established by the family in memory of Perry student Bethany Lardie.
– Three Shiawassee Artists’ Guild Awards were presented. Perry senior Courtney Corey received a $50 award. Morrice sophomore Hayley May Lademann and Ovid-Elsie sophomore Jaiden Rambo each received $25 awards.