$500 Janis Kazen Senior Award was presented to Owosso High School senior, Madeline Pappas who is shown with award sponsor Maureen Gilna and SAC Arts Education Director Linda Ruehle
See more pictures in the slideshow below.
45th Annual High School Scholarship Competition & Exhibition
The Shiawassee Arts Council, celebrating its 45th anniversary in 2017, awarded $2,115 in scholarship to 20 students from area high schools at the 45th Annual SAC Scholarship Show & Competition held April 29th at the Arts Center. A total of 88 students from Owosso, Corunna, Chesaning, Laingsburg, Morrice, New Lothrop, Ovid-Elsie, Perry, Byron and Home School students participated in the show.
- $500 Janis Kazen Senior Award was presented to Owosso High School senior, Madeline Pappas, by Maureen Gilna, sister of the late artist, Janis Kazen.
- $300 Shiawassee Artists’ Guild Award went to a collaborative/interactive entry by Morrice seniors, Olivia Crawford, Kaylee Keesler and Timbre Mills
- Two $250 Arlie & Rosemary Edwards Awards were presented to Owosso senior, Natalie Park and Owosso junior, Tiffany Smith. The awards were established by the family of the founders of Edwards Sign & Screen Painting.
- $175 Alyssa Barrett Award was presented to Owosso freshman, Rachael Dahl
- $100 Liz McEwan Family Award was presented to Owosso sophomore, Aeris Sexton. The award was established by the family in memory of Liz McEwan, a patron of the arts.
- $100 Jerry Power Award was presented to Byron senior, Robin Howard. The award was established by the family in memory of pastel artist, Jerry Power
- $75 Shiawassee Artists’ Guild Award was presented to Corunna senior, Lasasha Sharp
- Two $50 Bethany Lardie Awards were presented to Byron junior Adolfo Lujano and Owosso sophomore Brooke Wilder. The award was established by the family in memory of Bethany Lardie
- Two $50 Director’s Choice Awards were presented to Byron senior Meghan Polack and Corunna senior Stephanie Scott
- $50 Judges’ Award was presented to Owosso sophomore Rachel Landes. A $25 Judges’ Award was presented to New Lothrop sophomore Jaren Bishop
- Four Friend of the Arts Awards were presented to Owosso senior Ellen Campbell, Chesaning senior, Mateo Escamilla, New Lothrop sophomore Caitlyn Bruff and Owosso sophomore Sophia Wittum.
For 45 years the Shiawassee Arts Council has offered scholarships to talented young art students. Since the establishment of SAC in 1972, over $77,000 in scholarships and awards have been granted to provide students in grades 9-12 with recognition and financial assistance in their artistic growth.
Many thanks to the show sponsor Joyce Fox, poetry reader MaryKate Wright, guitarist Rachael Dahl, art teachers and to the show chairperson and SAC Art Education Director Linda Ruehle. The three judges, who judged the work on originality, creativity, technical skill and presentation, were from Genesee County. “We were very impressed with the talent displayed and it made our job of jurying very difficult.”